Note    N774         Index

Obituary of John Howard Church

John Howard Church of Minnedosa, Manitoba, passed away September 7, 1993 at Minnedosa, after a short illness, at age 67
Born August 6, 1926, at Vanguard, Saskatchewan, he received his education at Simmie, Sask. Howard married Helen Christine Stevenson of Gull Lake, Sask., on July 5 1947 in Kelowna B.C.. He worked in several locations in Saskatchewan, the longest stay was 7 years in Moose Jaw, then moved to Deloraine, Man. in 1962, transferring to Souris, Man. in 1964, then to Minnedosa in 1970 and after Howard's retirement from the CPR, moved back to Minnedosa in 1984.
Howard was a member of the Masonic Lodge, the Royal Canadian Legion, Ducks Unlimited, and a Life Member of the Elks.
He was predeceased by his wife Helen in 1988.
Howard is survived by his sons; Frederick Almond Church (Kathy) of Moose Jaw Sask., and Kelly Layne Church of Calgary, Alberta; his daughters Darlene Louise Haney (Bob), Medicine Hat, Ab., Fern Evelyn Cameron of Stony Mountain, Man., Grandchildren William Robert Haney, Geoffrey Layne Haney and Barry Allan Cameron, and Great-grandchildren Chelsey Renee Haney, Jamison Geoffrey G. Haney and Leigha Alexandra Haney. He is also survived by his sisters and one brother; Madeline Church, Alvin Church, Marjorie Neiser, all of Kelowna (Rutland) B.C.; Shirley Christianson of Mozart, Sk. and Verna Reich of Tyndall, Man.
Funeral Service was held on Saturday, September 11, 1993 from Minnedosa United Church, Shirley Russell officiating. Internment at Minnedosa Cemetery.
Pallbearers were Barry Cameron, Dexter Chritopherson, Albert Christopherson, George Betteridge, Larry Cardy and Donnie McMechan.
Sparrow Funeral Service was in care of arrangements.


Note    N775         Index






The funeral of Christina McKaig the victim of the fatal shooting accident at Ottowell, on Monday last, was buried yesterday afternoon from her late home to Zion Cemetery. Hundreds of people gathered to pay their last respects to the deceased girl, and the services were very impressive. the service started at 2:30 and lasted an hour. The father of the young girl, Mr. Archie McKaig, arrived on Tuesday night from Toledo, and was present at the funeral. Many relatives from Owen Sound, including Mr. and Mrs. W. Gregg, Mr. and Mrs. G. Arnott, Mr. and Mrs. Caffery, were also present.
George McKaig the 16 year old boy in whose hands the gun was at the time of the fatal accident, was at the funeral and his condition was pitifull. While the whole affair was entirely an accident he feels his position very keenly and is practically unable to control his feelings. He spent most of the time since the accident at Shallow Lake, but was taken over to the funeral yesteday. There is nothing to lend one to believe that his mind will be permanenlty affected


Note    N776         Index
In the diary of the Rev. William Proudfoot on March 17, 1833, he and others are mentioned as being the "Third Class" of the Church which he organized on that day.


Note    N777         Index
He and his wife appear in the diary of Rev. Proudfoot more than once. On August 15, 1833, he baptised their child "Elspel." That name does not make sense to me - I expect that it was really "Elspeth."


Note    N778         Index
He is called the Reverend Francis Ballantyne by Glenna Jamieson.

Here is her note in more detail:

The Reverend Francis Ballantyne in 1877 after the union of the Presbyterian Churches First Presbyterian Church on the 3rd concession of Westminster was joined in one pastoral charge with St. Andrew's on the 8th concession. The union with its resulting divisions had left First Church scattered and seriously crippled. There had been a fire that destroyed the manse in 1876 and the church was left without a roll of membership. In January of 1879 Rev. Francis Ballantyne M.A. Knox College was ordained and inducted as the first minister of the new united charge. He built up the Presbyterian ministry in Westminster again. In 1880 the old frame church was replaced by a brick one and in 1881 a manse was built.

The London Free Press, September 17, 1880, "On Monday evening, the 15th, instant, a tea meeting was held in the recently dedicated Presbyterian Church, at Wilton Grove, and it was a most successful affair. A large number of friends from London attended, among them the choir of St. Andrew's Church, under the leadership of Mr. William Freeland. The Pastor of the church, Rev. F. Ballantyne, occupied the chair. Speeches were made by Rev. M. Fraser, of St. Thomas, George Cuthbertson of Wyoming, William Ingles of Toronto ad Mr. Hall of Nissouri and were well received by a very large audience present.

The financial statement, which was read by the Rev. Mr. Ballantyne,placed the cost of the building at $ 4,300 which had been paid, and there still remained a balance of $ 470 to the credit of the church.

The Reverend gentlemen took occasion to thank all those who had contributed, whether money or labor to effect the desired result.At the conclusion of the speeches, the choir gave a fine selection, after which the Benediction was pronounced, and all returned home well pleased with the evening's entertainment."

First - Westminster Presbyterian Church

1875 The Union of the Presbyterian Churches. Presbytery advised that St. Andrew's London unite with Westminster Church.

Nov. 25 1877 The recommendation was adopted.

Jan. 2 1879 Rev. Francis Ballantyne was ordained and inducted (7 years in 1885)

Nov. 14 1880 The church was built and opened free of debt. The manse was enlarged.

1882 The Sunday School Room was erected.

Oct. 15 1884 The Woman's Foreign Missionary Society was organized.

1885 Rev. Francis Ballantyne resigned. He had served churches at Walton, Lobo and Caradoc, Kirkwall. He retired to London. During a long sickness he published church histories of 62 churches in London and Hamilton Presbytery.

After the Rev. Ballantyne left the First Presbyterian congregation in 1885 he and his wife moved to London where they lived at 69 Thornton, Avenue.

Francis Ballantyne wrote a history of the many Presbyterian churches in the vicinity of Westminster including the history of First Presbyterian in Westminster. Some of his work may be found in the Western Ontario Historical Notes, Volume XX, No. 2, September 1964, under the title of "Historical Sketches of the Congregations in the London Presbytery of the Presbyterian Church in Canada"