Notes


Note    N760         Index
[Beatties~Jan-00.FTW]

Lt. John MacGregor Campbell had 4 sons. One was killed at Flodden Field (1513). Three survived, we aree descended from one of the three (from Lawers).

Notes


Note    N761         Index
[Beatties~Jan-00.FTW]

[camtemp.ftw]

MARJORY CAMERON AND HER HUSBAND JOHN MacLEOD

The marriage of Marjory Cameron of Roxborough Township to John MacLeod of Charlottenburgh Township took place on February 18, 1811 and is recorded in the register for St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Williamstown. the Order in Council granted to Marjory as the daughter of a Loyalist was dated March 26, 1817. The baptisms for the first three of the following children of Marjory and John are recorded in the register for St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Williamstown. At the time of each of these baptisms the family was living in Charlottenburgh Township. We are not sure this is a complete list of the children of Marjory and John.

Roderick McLeod -Born Sept 12, 1811
-granted a patent to the east half of lot 5 conc B
Sydenham Township on April 13, 1849
- his name also appears on the early titles to lot 7
conc C Sydenham and lot 34 conc 1 Sydenham
-this family appears in 1861 census for Sydenham
and 1871 census for Sarawak Twp. Grey County
-Roderick's wife was named Catherine

Mary McLeod -born Dec 26, 1815

Ddonald McLeod -born July 15, 11815
-his name appears on the early title to lot 33
conc 1 Sydenham
-probably married his cousin Elizabeth Cameron
daughter of John Cameron and Isabella MacPhail
-living on lot 16 of broken front conc. Sydenham
at the time of the 1861 census, also 1871 census
-died Nov 27, 1886, buried Leith

Norman McLeod -this family appears in 1861 census for Owen
Sound and 1871 census for Sydenham
-his wife's name was Christina
-died July 1, 1876 aged 50 years, buried Leith

Notes


Note    N762         Index
[Beatties~Jan-00.FTW]

At 18 he went to North Keppel and Homesteaded
May 10th 1911 landed at Webb Saskatchewan

Pelltier Hill District of Saskatchewan:
Homesteaded SE 1/4 of 20-11-15
SW 1/4 of 21-11-15
Later leased E 1/2 of 21-11-15

His sister Annie Gilchrist married Adam Beattie
His wife Elizabeth McLeod was the sister of William John McLeod

Notes


Note    N763         Index
[Beatties~Jan-00.FTW]

John, Ann and their family of nine, with William's bride left Glensaddell on May 26 1843 and sailed for Canada on the "Hamilton of Glasgow" in early June. Their voyage lasted 5 weeks and 4 days, after which they proceeded by steamer from Montreal via Ottawa, the Rideau, Kingston to Toronto and Hamilton. Then a team of oxen and sleigh hauled their luggage to Aberfoyle and in the third concession of Puslinch, arriving July 19. By winter they had built on the homestead, lot 11k rear of concession 2. Over the winter they cleared the first 20 acres.

Notes


Note    N764         Index
[Beatties~Jan-00.FTW]

Malcom retained the homestead, lot 111 rear of 2nd

Notes


Note    N765         Index
[Beatties~Jan-00.FTW]

Article p 204 "Reminiscences of North Sydenham
________________________________________

WILLIAM BROWN

The ancient town of Hawick was, in the early years of the nineteenth century, the birthplace of many a future Grey County pioneer. The men of Hawick were in ancient times famous for their intrepid valour in war.
Our sketch's subject, however, had none of those militant qualities that made the men of Hawick feared in the days of Flodden. A more peaceable or mild a mannered man it would be hard to conceive of and his kindness, more particularly to dumb animals, was the quality by which he is best remembered. In early life Mr. Brown was a shepherd, and the contemplative nature of this employment was favorable to the poetic instinct, with which he was gifted in no mean degree. In later years his improvisations in verse, upon local events on the Lake Shore Line, were by many considered as worthy of a wider field and a larger audiencee. He was born in 1809 and came to Canada in 1842. He settled at first in Galt, and as he had the best education afforded by the common schools in his native shire he was drafted into the service of school teaching there, but only for one year. In 1843 he journeyed up the Garafraxa road to Owen Sound, then a hamlet of seven or eight houses. In the allotment of Crown Lands he was given Lot 40 on the Lake Shore, close to Doctor Lang's; the two formed a close friendship which closed only with the death of the last named. Like many of his Scottish neighbours, he had a penchant for gardening and fruit raising, and his orchard, raised from the appleseed, was the first and one of the finest on the Lake Shore. It was also, in its prime, the objective of many a gang of young marauders, bent on apple stealing. Marrying after forty years of age, Mr. Brown still had a family of twelve children, most of whom yet survive as active and useful members of society. For several years after coming to the locality he rented what was afterwards known as the Keefer farm, about one mile below Annan and, like many of his neighbours in that early day, could relate stories of the vicissitudes of pioneering that have unfortunately passed into oblivion. He died in 1892, while in his eighty-third year, and interment was made at Annan.