Note    N1         Index
The wise one.

Here is her resume from 1999 when she was still at the University of Guelph doing her undergraduate work:
Port Perry High School
Achieved Ontario Secondary School Diploma, Certificate of French Immersion Studies and an Ontario Scholarship (above 80% in at least 6 OAC subjects). Honours student all years. Involved in the gifted math and English programs.

University of Guelph
Presently in seventh semester of honours biology program, majoring in zoology. Cumulative average at present: 80.16. Carried out a fourth year research project studying aggregation behaviour in tropical water striders. Currently working on another research project involving the feeding behaviour of monarch butterfly larvae in relation to bioassays using Bt corn pollen.

May 1999 to present
Field Entomology Research Assistant, U of G
Department of Environmental Biology
Diane Stanley-Horn (519) 824-4120 x4847
Perform various tasks including: pesticide efficacy trials; distributing Bt pollen on leaf samples; analyzing leaf samples; collection of data in the field and in the lab; setting up and monitoring bioassays; plant and insect identification; data entry into spreadsheets and care of insect colonies.

January 1999 to December 1999
Writing Peer Helper, U of G
Learning & Writing Services
Barbara Christian (519) 824-4120 x
Acted as a resource for students wishing to improve their learning and/or writing skills. Ran workshops and seminars for large groups, performed one on one writing consultations and participated in ongoing training courses.

September 1994 to December 1998
Sales Clerk / Folk Artist
White Feather Country Store
Liz Schillings, owner, (905) 655-4752
Worked in the store as a sales associate, at the cash register, in the kitchen and helping customers with their purchases. Also worked behind the scenes doing folk art painting, staining, stenciling, sanding, stocking, some book-keeping and miscellaneous tasks around the farm.

June through August 1998
General Counselor / Riding Instructor
Lake Bryn Mawr Camp
Bobbi Lehman, Riding Director, (520) 568-4350 [Oct-May] / (250) 770-9743 [Jun-Sept]
Lived with and was responsible for a cabin of thirteen 11/12 year old girls during the 8 week camp season. Taught 2-3 riding lessons daily, involving 3-6 students from beginner to advanced levels. Led horsemanship workshops and also cared for horses, cleaned stalls and completed barn chores.

September 1999 to present
Lab Teaching Assistant for Invertebrate Zoology courses I and II
Greg Humphreys, Lab Coordinator, (519) 824-4120 x
Act as a teaching assistant in the invertebrate zoology lab each week during the semester, answering questions, clarifying the lab exercises and helping students discover the connections between lab and lecture material. Also help in lab exam preparation, invigilation and marking.

January 1995 to June 1995
Peer Tutor in a grade nine French class, PPHS
Dennis Tate, supervisor, (905) 985-7337
Attended all classes and assisted students with comprehension of the material and completion of exercises. Prepared and taught a few lessons and acted as a peer liaison between students and teacher.

Involved with PPHS’ student council for 5 years as Co-President and Co-Chair of several different committees. Acted as a member of the Student Leader Interactive Council of Durham and as a delegate at OSSSA leadership conferences.

Volunteer swimming instructor at Uxbridge Swim Pool; volunteer horseback riding support staff for disabled children; volunteer dog walker at the Ontario Veterinary College; volunteer horseback riding instructor at Durham Pony Club “D camp”; U of G special events tour guide;

Member of Durham Pony Club (1989-1997); C1 level rider. Member of the Central Ontario Tetrathlon Team and attended national competitions for 3 years. Assistant Coach and member of PPHS swim team; member of PPHS cross country running team; competitive swimmer for EYSC, USC and OSHAC. Coach of intramural inner tube water polo team; player on ultimate frisbee team. Editor of Lambton 4A 97-98 yearbook; member of PPHS yearbook class; volunteer and contributor to the yearbook at all schools attended. Stage manager for two PPHS Drama Department productions.


Certificate of Bilingualism for French Immersion Studies
Recipient of the Port Perry High School Citizenship Award
Recipient of an OSSTF Student Recognition Award for personal excellence
Semi-finalist for the Canadian Merit Foundation Scholarship award
Qualified in St. John’s Ambulance Standard First Aid and CPR
Opright Tallescope Lift Operator
Licensed driver
Smart Serve Responsible Server
RLSSC and Red Cross Aquatic Awards: Instructors; NLS; Leaders


Note    N2         Index
Father always said that he was born in Esterhazy, Saskatchewan. Later on in life, he said it was Vaguard, Saskatchewan. The actual birth certificate says Hodgeville, Saskatchewan. A birth certificate issued on November 4, 1944 says that he was born in Hodgeville P.O. , Sask. That must be the closest post office. Vanguard and Hodgeville are only 32 kilometres apart. Esterhazy is nowhere near, being over 300 Kilometres away. So, I am sticking with Vanguard.

Dad was born in Vanguard Saskatchewan but by the time his mother died, the family was living in Innisfail, Alberta. I am not sure when they moved there.

Once dad told me that the name Lester came from a German farmer who lived near the family in Vanguard. As it is not a very German name, that seems unlikely. And in any event, it was spelled Leicester by his parents, which is very English.

His mother died when he was only three years old and since his father was often travelling and more than bit undependable, he was given into the care of his aunt Bessie. His Calgary School Registration Card, dated February 10, 1922, says that Bessie Germain was his guardian - was there an actual order? Dad says she just agreed to care for him when he was 3 years old. The above Registration Card was issued when he was admitted to grade one, at Sunalta Cottage School. He was living at 1009, 12th St. S. W. but it also mentions 617, 15th Avenue W. Dad says that his aunt Bessie lived at one address and he at the other. Then who looked after him? He moved with her to Ottawa in 1923 and stayed there until 1929. He lived there with her and her husband Roy. The Calgary School Registration card stops after December 1923 and picks up again in 1929, which would mean that he was only in Ottawa for six years.

There is a year book for dad, for grade 8, for the period December 14, 1929 to 1930 at Connaught School in Calgary. Connaught School is now the oldest operating school in all of Clagary, having been built in 1911. Mr, Colwell was the teacher. Mr. Stoodly was the principal. Dad describes his "best pals" as Ike, Mike and Guss and "otherwise Colin and Bob." There are a plie of good wishes and silly poems written in dad's school book for 1929. In the fall of 1930, dad went to CCI - Central Collegiate Institute.

I have looked at the Ottawa City Directory for the years 1918 to 1945. The first year that the Germain family appears is 1925. That must be when they moved from Calgary to Ottawa. That year they were noted as living at 472 McLeod and Roy was at National System of Baking. Although they moved around a bit, by and large they were at 445/7 Somerset Ave. for most of the time up until they stopped being recorded. This was in 1943. By then, Roy was working at Fenton's Bakery and he and his dad were living at 217 Nepean St.

In any event, dad left Ottawa when his aunt Bessie's daughter Helen got sick with TB. I have found her burial and death record which says that she died on November 20, 1928; that would fit. She was working in Detroit as a nurse in training but came home to Ottawa. Or they went to Detroit to look after her. Dad may have some details mixed up as the directory has Roy and Orville at Somerset Ave throughout the 1930's. In any event, dad got sent back to Calgary. The method of sending him back consisted of giving him into the care of Ed Hagle, who was the owner of National Baking of Canada. He drove dad out when he was travelling on a business trip. Dad travelled across North America in this fashion. He arrived in Calgary but no one was there to meet him. So he was simply left downtown to wait. Eventually, his brother Cecil showed up on a bike to take him to the house that John R. was building in a place called Grand Trunk, which is is now part of Upper Hillhurst, in Calgary. The family lived in the garage while John R. built the home. Another time that dad told the story, he said that they lived in a tent on the banks of the Bow River while his father built the house in Grand Trunk. After the house was finished, they moved into it. He was a bit confused and says that the tent incident might have been before he went into the care of his aunt.

According to Dad he was a bit of a problem child. He told me that in relation to a story where it was proposed that he would be adopted by a family with the name Dundas. Vera Timms went to school with one of the Dundas girls. Whether this was normal school or not, I don't know. I am a bit fuzzy as to when dad went to live with the Dundas Family. He called the woman "grandma Dundas." Mack Dundas was the man. They lived on a farm called "Sunny Slope" near Olds. Later it was called "Allingham." Dad lived and worked there until part-way through grade ten, when he moved back to Calgary and started to attend Crescent Heights School. Part way through the year he transferred to Central High School.

I have looked at the year books for Central "The Analecta" for several years. He first shows up in 1934. He is in grade 12. That same year mother was in grade 11. Although he was in grade 12 in 1934, he went back in 1935. That year he played senior football (Rugby) as an end. He was described as a "the little man of the team but a deadly tackler and a good pass receiver. Fast and tricky when carrying the ball." He was 19 years old and weighed 120 lbs. The entry under his name and picture says "Only comes part time but when he's here everyone knows it - and likes it. He's a little feller but did fine work on the Senior Rugby Squad. Sorry girls, but he's spoken for." When I asked dad what that meant, he said that he was dating a Mary Robinson for at least two years but that Vera and his dad were opposed to him continuing to go out with her as she was from too wealthy a family. He also said that during that year when he was going part time, he worked half days at Rosie Hilman's billiard parlour on 8th Avenue.

When his mother died, dad recalls that his two brothers were put into the care of the Sally Anne. When was that? He also says when he went to his aunt Bessie, that Helen went to live with their aunt Maggie Gough, Larry went to the Coles in Michigan (the Drug Store people) and Cecil went to the Perrys in St. Marys. Vera was in Normal School in Calgary. From time to time grandfather tried to get the family together but it never worked out. One occasion was in Drumheller when he tried to run a bakery business. His father was a cook, a baker, a carpenter, etc.

In speaking with my father in December 15, 2003 he gave me some information with respect to his childhood that I did not previously have. He told me that when he was living in Ottawa with his aunt and uncle, he participated in an elocution contest at the Russell Theatre. He came second. He also said that as a Boy Scout [presumably meant a Cub Scout] he went to Rideau Hall. He said it was for dinner but perhaps it was for another meal.

I have a hand-written letter from dad to Vera dated July 13 of ? It is written from 537 Gilmour Ave in Ottawa. It reads:
Dear Vera and Helen. I am writing to thank you Vera for the money you gave me and also the congratulation Helen gave me and I am also glad cause I passed.
I am selling magazines to make some money to put in the bank today I have made forty cents and I sold 15 magazines and the magazines are 10 cents and I make a profit on every one which is three cents.
Helen is still in bed but not very sick.
Send me a picture of the cottage when it is finished and also a picture of Cecil and Laurence and the rest and also tell Cecil and the others to write as I have not heard from them at all.
Well I guess this is all for now again I thank you the money and congratulations.
Your brother
Love Lester
PS Please write soon, Lester

As far as I can see, dad first appears in Henderson City Directory for Calgary in 1936. He has no trade or profession listed. He was living with Vera and his father in apt. 7, 1314 16th Ave. W. Cecil was there too. In 1937, he and Vera had moved to apt 201, 908 17th A. W, along with Cecil. That is the Devonish Apartment Building. John R. was not there. Dad was shown as a clerk at Singleton Hardware. By 1938, dad was not living with Vera. In 1938, dad was a clerk at Louise Hardware and had his own apartment in the same building as Vera. In 1940, dad was at Safeways and also living with Vera. In 1941, dad was a clerk at Royalite Oil and living at 1015 13th Ave. W. He does not appear in the Directory in 1942 or 43. During those years he was living in Vancouver working for Burrard Ship Yards as a clerk working on ship repairs for the Navy during the war. As he tells the story, his father in law, David Kennedy, helped get him back to Calgary. In 1944, dad is a clerk at McColl-Frontenac Oil, living at Apt. 11. 908, 17th Ave. W. After his death, I found a letter dated September 17, 1958, from R.O. Lockwwod Division Manager of the Sales Department of Texaco Canada congratulating dad on his 15 years, to the day, service at the company. The letter says that he started as a stock clerk. There are also letters for his 25th year in 1968 and 1973 for the 25th and 30th anniversaries there. Since dad did not retire until 1980, that means that he had over 35 years service with the company

Dad went to U of A in Edmonton for one year. Presumably that was in 1935, which was the year that he graduated from high school. I could not find him in the Evergreen and Gold, the U of A year book, for that year. I know that dad went to the University of Alberta for one year but he had to drop out for financial reasons. I do recall seeing a yearbook when I was a kid living in Oakville. Dad's picture was in it as a cheerleader.

Dad tells me that his first job was at the HBC in the men's department. He also mentions a part time job that he had when he went back to school part time in 1934/35 - he worked in a pool hall - Rosie Hilmans? - on 8th Avenue near the Bay. Then he worked at Singleton's Hardware at 17th Ave. and 14th St. Then he went Small's Hardware in Hillhurst on 10th St. After that he went to Safeways in the produce department. After that he went to Turner Valley where he worked for Royalite - that was in 1938 or 1939. All of this is slightly out of sync with the directory listings.

When he was working in Vancouver during the war, dad was one of a group of persons boarding a street car when they were hit by a car on December 26, 1943. The car was driven by K. R. McDonald of the RCAF. The driver was later convicted of dangerous driving. Dad was taken to the hospital. They thought nothing was wrong but when leaving, he collapsed with a fractured skull.

I found a receipt in his papers after his death that showed that he and mother went to Vancouver for their honeymoon and stayed at the Abbotsford Hotel for 3 nights at the rate of $2 a night plus 10 cents for a phone.